Monday, July 29, 2019

Retirement and Me



I am officially "retired" from paying day jobs.

At 61 I was working part-time at an assisted living facility as the Program Director. I really liked that job. I helped people every day and I was always learning something new.

For example, I learned how to set a banquet table (thanks Val!), how to conduct a book club and Bible study (thanks Carol and Martin!), and how to announce Bingo numbers without getting distracted (thanks Boogy!).

However, some of my duties were becoming boring, like making popcorn for afternoon movie time. And I was growing weary of folding and lifting wheelchairs into vehicles.

Someone mentioned to me that I could actually '"retire" at age 62 – that is, receive Social Security benefits. I don't recall exactly, but this person might have been one of the residents at the center, probably hoping, after another botched batch of popcorn, that I'd move on.

Anyway, a wee bit of investigation later, I discovered that:
1. I could begin receiving Social Security benefits at 62, and
2. The monthly amount I would receive at 62 was a few dollars less than what I would receive if I waited until 65, and
3. The monthly amount I would receive was equal to my salary at my part-time day job.

Hmm.

Quick calculations!

I could receive retirement payments at 62 and quit my day job, and stay home to do what I really love.

Down side?

Well, sure, if I stayed at work and received those payments, I'd make twice as much to take home. If I continued working and waited until I was 65, I'd fill my pockets with even more money.

What would you decide? Would that change for you at a different age?

If you read the first post in my blog, you know I'm 65. What do you think I decided?

Stop by next Monday to find out. Meantime, whatever your age, have a lovely, kindly week!

No comments:

Post a Comment