Monday, July 22, 2019

Why the Title? Why "Silvering"?


Wrinkles, creaking joints, inability to recall simple words, and especially gray hair, are all signs of growing old. Of ageing.
In our culture, growing old has a bad rep, and gray hair is the symbol.
Consider the articles in the news about the "graying" of America. They aren't referring to our fingernails, although fingernails and toenails can get gnarled with age. And they aren't referring to changes in our skin. Can you imagine articles about the "wrinkling" of America?
They are referring to hair color. When humans age, our hair changes color.
Personally, I always thought it would be great to get a change of hair color without having to work at it. Imagine that at twenty or thirty, our hair becomes purple or blue. In our fifties our hair becomes red or green. In our sixties and seventies, our hair becomes white.
Wait!
That already happens. Our hair naturally becomes a different color as we grow into our fifth, sixth and seventh decades. Gradually, our original hairs are replaced by white hairs. This process makes our hair appear gray-colored for several years.
I love that my hair will one day be white – a blank slate, a new canvas, a crisp new snowfall. I could do so much with white hair!


     
           
[ These photos are multiplying and I can't stop them! ARGH!]
I particularly like the black with a white fringe in the front. Well … but the pastels on flowing curls is nice. What do you think?
Lately, when I see women whose hair color is changing, I've noticed that the hair strands glimmer, as though they are teeny, tiny wires. They aren't actually dull gray, like iron or pewter. The hair may look that way, at that moment, but it is changing, strand by strand,  to a bright and glimmering color.
The color is silver.
Wouldn't you rather have silver hair than gray hair?
Silver is a color of jewelry, of strong swords and daggers, of 25 years of commitment. It's a precious metal, but common, unlike gold. Common folk throughout history could own something made of silver. Sure it required polishing, but the gleam has always been worth it.

I don't want to my hair to turn to gray, and I'm convinced that no one else's turns gray. It turns silver.
We are not graying here in America, or all over the world, we are silvering.
This blog is about my own silvering; my growth into the last three decades of my life. Join me for the journey: good and bad, ugly and beautiful.



1 comment:

  1. I love this opening Holly! I too am silvering. Stopped coloring my hair about 3 years ago now and I have a mane of long hair that sports shades of brown, red and silver. My bangs and the sides of my hair are now mostly silver. I love that the silver frames my face and it's so great not to spend hours getting it colored!

    ReplyDelete