Saturday, March 13, 2021

Discovery!

        One time I had occasion to study the Christian Science Monitor. This newspaper was started in 1908 as a nonprofit by Mary Baker Eddy, the founder of the Christian Science Church. As I turned the pages and glanced through the articles for some school project, I began to get a sense of tone that was different from most newspapers.

       I have a special interest in the Christian Science Church and Mary Baker Eddy. Several of her works are on the shelf with our family Bibles: Prose Works, Other than Science and Health with Key to Scriptures, (1925); Manual of the Mother Church (1936 edition); and Science and Health, With Key to the Scriptures, (1934 edition). These books have my father's name stamped into the front of them.

       I was raised Christian Scientist.

       Today, the teachings of this church seem out of touch with mainstream Christianity, especially the use of prayer instead of medical aid for healing, even for ill children. Many people consider it a cult.

       When I surveyed all those Monitors, my family had long before abandoned that church and I was well aware of its bad image. I don't remember what I was looking for in that research project, but I remember what I found.

       Eventually I put a word to it, the tone prevalent on every page: "dignity".

       Suddenly, I wasn't ashamed to be associated with the church of my father.

       According to Mary Baker Eddy, the purpose of the Monitor was, "To injure no man, but to bless all mankind." Also,

The aim is to embrace the human family, shedding light with the conviction that understanding the world's problems and possibilities moves us towards solutions.

        This seems a far cry from the harsh, argumentative, doom-laden messages of most news outlets today.

       In these contentious, riotous times, I find solace that someone out there is encouraging us to shed light on problems in order to discover solutions. They are encouraging us not to injure others, and—by my reading—to treat everyone with dignity.

       As we enter lent this year, like a whole planet of super-reluctant hermits, let's consider that simple creed of Mrs. Eddy's, and make a vow for every day of lent: Injure no one.

 

(Previously published in the Mid-week message of the First United Methodist Church, Alamosa, Colorado.)

Hear this blog, recorded by the author! 


No comments:

Post a Comment