Monday, February 10, 2020

Of Elves, Time Zones, and Sweating the Small Stuff


I do a lot of research as a fiction writer. It's one of the things I try to get out of.
I wanted to write a historical romance, many years ago, and I wanted a setting that no one had heard of so that I wouldn't have to do any research. I chose Wales; actually the border between Wales and England in the 900s. Seemed like an unknown time and location. I guess if I didn't know something about that bit of history, I would make it up (Horrors!" gasp my history professors). Or maybe I already knew enough to fake it. Or maybe teenie weenie elves would work on those parts -- at night – while I slept. Actually, I didn't have a plan for lack of knowledge on my part. So I dived into the story, figuring I would locate the rare books on the topic if I really needed to.
Turns out there were many books about the history and archeology of Wales and England. Dang!
Another story I wrote was about sparrows. Pretty simple topic, eh? Surely a peek in a nature book would suffice for research. But what does a sparrow chirp actually sound like? Luckily, I now have use of the internet, so I was able to listen to the chirps of little sparrows all day long. And what do magpies sound like? (Foolish me, I put them in this story with sparrows.) And how would a flock of sparrows attack a pile of garbage – say a hamburger and fries – on the roadside? And would there be a thorn bush in the same setting as rose bushes?
Oh no! More research. Dang!
I tend to write historical fiction, so of course, I must do some research if I want the time and setting to seem realistic to readers. Historical research quickly turns into serpentine rabbit holes.
For example, I wanted to know what time of day President Garfield died in 1881. I knew he had been shot by an assassin, that he lingered for several weeks, that telegraph notices about him were printed in every newspaper in the country. And I knew that he passed in the evening. My question: what time did he actually die, and when would citizens in later time zones be told?
What a rat's nest of information I stumbled upon. First, there were not yet time zones in 1881! How then, did people know what time it was (besides looking up at the sky and guessing)? Every town had jewelers and/or watch repair shops. Usually, these shops had a clock outside their building. Every day they would use a sextant (used by captains at sea to plot their location on the globe) to determine the exact location of the sun. From this reading, they would set the clock on the street, and people in town could then set their clocks.
Time zones as we know them, were developed by the railroads and passed into law in the early 1900s.
All that research, just to find out I couldn't use time zones in my story. Grrr.
I am currently reading The Silmarillion, by J. R. R. Tolkein. This is the backstory of his epic fantasy: The Lord of the Rings. Oh my goodness! The Silmarillion is the creation myth, god legends, and cultural development of the Elves of Middle Earth. In the back, are pages and pages of index to locate names and places, a map of the area of the stories, genealogy charts of the elf families and the human families. If all that isn't enough, there is an extensive appendix about the elven language. An entire language!
Talk about research!
I whine about research involving sparrows, but he did the fictional research for a vast fantasy.
Research is required for all genres of fiction: historical, fantasy, and future; thrillers, romances, and mysteries; children's, young adult, and erotica. To write good stories requires research.
Dang!

No comments:

Post a Comment